Thursday, September 12, 2013

10 Thai Words You Should Know and Why

With all of these Thai lessons, I felt the need to share some of the goodness with y'all. Maybe if I know that other people are learning the language, it will motivate me a little more. Ha!


1. Bai! [pronounced: bye] (Go!)
  • Essential to scare away stray dogs off your property. Used best when powerfully shouting while clapping your hands in front of you and running wildly at the dog.
2. Suay [pronounced: soo-why] (beautiful)
  • Said to me by the Thai staff every time I dress up for church on Sunday. Said casually in passing. I like this culture.
3. Mamwan Suk [pronounced:mom-won sook] (ripe mango...like the kind we have in the USofA but much better)
  • the juiciest of fruit that practically dissolves in my mouth, to which I get super excited when it is brought out at lunch and all the staff joke about there not being enough for me and I must go without. never. I am also told by our Indian/Bangla guests that theirs is much better. i'll need to investigate first-hand.
4. Khao Niao [pronounced: cow nee-ow] (sticky rice)
  • the perfect partner to the above "mamwan suk" Seriously, I just about cry when they are separate. Can put a smile on my face just about anytime of day.
5. Mai Ow [pronounced: my ow] (I don't want it.)
  • To be used almost every time you visit a public beach in a tourist city as Thai vendors approach you every five seconds to by a T-shirt that reads "Starbuks" (yes, misspelled) or American flag pajama pants.
6. Phet [pronounced: pet] (spicy)
  • Accompanied most often with the word "mai" (meaning no or not) when spoken by Westerners. It is crucial in ordering food in Thailand, especially being white.
7. Farang [pronounced: fuh-rong, roll the tongue on the R] (white foreigner)
  • probably the word I hear most often while in Thailand, especially when travelling in non-tourist villages/cities. Not derogatory.
8. Array Na? [pronounced: uh-rye nah, roll the tongue on the R] (what? or excuse me?)
  • I use this phrase the most on a daily basis. I am learning Thai, but Thai speakers still talk way too quickly for me to understand, so I use this little helper and they repeat what they said.
9. Chop Ma [pronounced: chaawp mah] (I like it a lot!)
  • The staff usually asks me if I like things 100 times a day: their country, their cooking, their dress, etc. and this is my answer most of the time! unless it's fried wasp larvae, then I reply "mai chop" with a disgusted face meaning "I don't like it!"
10. Sawadee! [pronounced: suh-wah-dee] (Hello!)
  • MUST be said we the biggest smile ever and a slight bowing, really a nod, of the head. Girls, go ahead and add a "Kaa [pronounced: kah]" onto the end of this one to make it polite. Boys, tack on a "Khrap [pronounced: crop, with a slight tongue roll on the R]" Girls and boys, go ahead and tack these on to pretty much anything you say in Thai to make it come off super polite.


This lesson was brought on by me waving my hands around in the air, shouting, and loudly running down our driveway to get our neighbor's dog off our property an hour ago. So thank the dog, and you're welcome for the linguistic knowledge you have gained and can impress that special someone with at your next mutual international function.

Sawadee Kaa! (also used for "goodbye")

1 comment: