Thursday, April 25, 2013

Local Habits

Living in Austin, one gets really good at sitting in traffic. I must admit I have gotten so good at sitting in traffic that I have watched an entire TV episode on my phone hovering just behind my steering wheel. While staring out our big windows at Lick today I noticed a man sitting in traffic playing his steering wheel like a drum. I mean, he was really jammin out! I wanted to know what song was playing because I loved the moment he was in. I have those moments often, sitting in my car in traffic. When a song comes on that I just can't help but belt out and slam my hands on top of the wheel repeatedly to the beat. I love those moments (a true silver lining of living and working 20 miles apart).

I have had moments like these, determined by the place I live in. In Thailand, the last time I was there, I came to love my 20 minute walk to work. It was sometimes the highlight of my morning. I would pass the same car mechanics, the same shaggy, mangy dog that I called Benji and would have full English conversations with as we walked together, the same old woman watering her garden, squeal at the same cute street puppies that I ended up taking into my own home, the same Chinese Buddhist temple that always seemed to be under construction, the same tiny bakery operated by a woman and her mom outside their home, the same private school yard, and the same moto drivers waiting for customers. I told time by these people (if the kids were already singing the national anthem, I was late to class!) They would all smile at me, even Benji. There was beauty in the routine and awe in the hiccups in it, like this one time I almost stepped on a tiny green snake that I found out later was extremely poisonous.

There is something about being in transit and having the ability to turn off part of your brain and just observe that I find so relaxing and reflective of the care of my Savior. Even in traffic or the quiet neighborhood streets of a foreign metropolis, God is moving and working and giving things breath.

I am curious to see what routines I will fall in love with in Thailand this time around. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment